Sunday, September 7, 2008

Radiation vs Surgery vs Both

Had a long appointment with the Rad Onc on Friday. She is recommending that I have a Neurosurgical evaluation (scheduled for Thursday) of the brain tumor. If it is non operable she will recomend that I go to UCSF for CyberKnife or Gamma Knife therapy. Whatever is used as the primary attack on the tumor, she is also recommending that I undergo "whole brain" radiation therapy in an attempt to kill off any little critters running around up there. It does not sound like fun--the side effects can be rather fierce--but the options don't sound like fun either. Woo Hoo, daily doses of radiation for a whole month! I'll really glow in the dark.

According to the MRI the tumor is 10mm x 9mm x 8mm and in the Left Parietal lobe, near the surface, and surrounded by a moderate amount of swelling. None of the docs think that the headache was caused by the tumor, but now they know it is there and have to treat it. So, the Decadron as a first step.
The Rad Onc suggested that I start at a half dose on the Decadron, given my history with Prednisone--it basically drove me insane--so God knows how bad the side effects would be on a full dose.

The Decadron is doing it's usual thing to me...messing up my sleep patterns and giving me horrible indigestion at around 12MN every night. So I am back on the Prilosec full time, but little help so far.

Spent some time with the family last noc. It is pretty hard to talk about things with the kids around, but we managed to get some of it across.

Robin and I have basically decided that all of this new news means very little. We knew that we would be up against the wall; this latest just makes that all the more clear. She remains strong and patient. I have no idea what I would do without her.

We received the packet from the Medical Onc on Friday to take to UCSF for the second opinion, so now I can make the appointment ASAP.

I received a couple of cards and emails this week; thanks to all who sent them. It truly does help. Thanks.

No comments: