Saturday, September 13, 2008

And The Winner Is...

The traditional scalpel and the Cyberknife!

Robin and I spent a long and fruitful day in Redwood City on Thursday consulting with the Neuroscience team (a fabulous group BTW). The approach that we have settled on is a Craniotomy (next Thursday 9/18) to go in and remove the tumor. After a suitable wait of 10 to 14 days then I will be off to the Cyberknife facility for a thorough nuking of the tumor bed (e.g. the place where the tumor used to sit). The hope is that this will remove everything that we can see. Then off to MRI every 2 to 3 months to watch and see.

Depending on whom I talk to, the hospital stay will be 2 to 4 days. Of course, back when I had my Laminectomy done I was such a pain that after only 45 minutes on the unit the nurses were stumbling all over each other to contact the surgeon and get me discharged...so much for the projected stay of 6 to 8 hours for that! A good patient I am generally not!

That brings me to the big issue of the day. The kids. They still don't know everything that is going on--although my son told me that it was good to see me eating again--but they are starting to get that something is up. Wednesday we are going to keep them out of school and sit them down for a simple talk about Daddy's short stay in the Hospital. Then Robin and I will spend the day with them and try to keep calm.

I am not sure how we will be handling the long term follow-up and treatment for the brain mets. The possible and probable side effects of whole brain radiation frankly scare the piss out of Robin and I. I kinda like my brain functioning in a (mostly) un-demented state. For know, we will hold off on nuking eveything in sight, especially given the fsct that RCC is one of the most radiation resistant tumors out there.

We also had an appointment with the Med ONC today to go over the CT results. We are both happy with them, so I will be restarting the Sutent ASAP. That will have to be coordinated with the Neursurgeon and the Neuro ONC after the surgery, so the better news is that I get to eat properly for a few more weeks! More long term we are now looking at removing the primary after the Neurosuurgery, but will probably have to do 2 cycles of Sutent first.

Speaking of eating, a friend had dinner delivered to us Thursday night; boy did that save us. We had expected to be home to the East Bay by 2pm at the latest. Instead we rolled in the door around 530 and the food was here within minutes. Thanks again Lynn!

Man, but these roids are pissing me off! The regurge is just a pain and the emotional swings are driving me bonkers. Robin keeps telling me that I am talking and acting like somebody wired on crank. Maybe she's right. After all, I am typing this up at 350 in the am! About the only good part to the Decadron has been the massive return of my appetite. Not sure how many calories I have gone through this week, but all of the 7 lost pounds are back (and then some). I find that I need to eat a full meal about every 4 hours or I get rather cranky and the regurge gets bothersome. I wonder if this is how the holly-weird types bounce their weight up for their roles? And my impulse control! Look out! Anything is always a good idea, screw the thoughts of consequences. Ah well, this too shall pass.

Robin and I are off to UCSF on Monday. Their Urological Oncology team has discussed the case and they want to start us off with their Medical ONC first. Yet another day spent in a clinic...But it is for a good cause. Knowledge is always power.

The family is all coming a-running next week. I am so grateful for everything that they and our friends are doing for us. It looks like we will have someone here every day for 5 or 6 days to help Robin with the kids and stuff, so that is a great relief to me. And, I am sure, to her.

What else to mention? Is it a good day today? Well duh, you're breathing still aren't ya?

I think I'll just leave it at this: Most of us walk through life without realizing the effects that we have on the other people around us. I count myself as one of those people, as I can be rather oblivious at times. The last three days have given me the opportunity to read and learn about the effects that I have had on some of the people around me. For that I am deeply grateful, very humbled, and damned proud of each and every one of you. You were, and are, the best of the best. I miss you all.

Be well. Time to try and catch a couple more hours sleep. Busy day with the family coming up.

No comments: