Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Need More Drugs?

Get cancer. They'll give you anything that you ask for. Seriously, every visit or phone call with any of my docs ends with them asking me if I need anything "for the pain". What pain? If I had any damn pain it probably would have started long ago and then there is a chance that we could have caught this early!

Anyway, the mouth is fine today--last night I could not even eat Shrimp Pho--and I had an email and phone chat with the Onc and his nurse. It seems that in cases where there are lytic bone lesions (translation: Bone Mets) a medicine called
Aredia has proved useful in preventing fractures due to calcium loss. Now for the truly odd part. This medicine can, in rare cases, cause necrosis of the jaw (translation: your jaw rots). Oh joy. Needless to say, I will not be starting this medicine without being cleared by the dentist and having a dental cleaning first. That can't happen until around September 3rd during the medication vacation, as the Sutent can affect your bleeding times, and the oral mucosa changes definitely include increased bleeding with trauma. Heck, not even trauma--brushing my teeth hurts and makes me bleed like a stuck pig.

Had a nice email from an old friend today. It is the little things that help. I have spent the afternoon working on stuff around the house and with my son. Tuesday and Wednesday the kids go to day care, but today my son wanted to stay home so I picked him up as soon as the lab studies for Johns Hopkins were collected. With luck the genetics studies will be done in about six weeks.

A nice afternoon. Like I said, it is the little things that help.

No comments: