Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Just a Quick Thank-You

And a quicker update on things. First, I want to extend further thanks to a few people. Dad, thanks for always being there. You are more important to the family and I than I think you realize. To Shirley G, Jacqueline V, and Mary W; thanks for the thoughts, messages, prayer cards and just plain being around. I know that I often fail to answer; but I have read everything, and it gives Robin and I great comfort.

Now, on with the show...

I was subjected to my third thoracentesis today--you may recall that they are scheduled weekly now--and even more fluid was pulled off this time! Today's total was 2850ml, or just shy of 3 litres. Oddly enough, when the Radiologist looked at my chest with the ultrasound machine she thought that there was "only" about 500 to 800ml to remove. So much for the trained eye... Or, maybe I just have a bloody big pleural cavity. Thank God for the years on the swim team, it seems to have given me some respiratory reserve.

Anyway, I was feeling pretty good before the tap--no shortness of breath at rest, and very little with exertion--but I guess I can just compensate well. Or, as Robin puts it, I have an "amazingly effective game face". Whatever; I felt good before the tap. Now...things hurt like H E Double Toothpick! It feels like a whole drawer of knives and forks are stuck into my left chest and flank; and let's not even talk about coughing or hiccups!. For the first time ever I actually had to leave work early today because of the pain. Now, granted, I try to limit myself to only four hours on-site, but I have never before had to cut that short (truth be told, I usually stretch it out, much to the consternation of my wife and co-workers!).

Tomorrow is the weekly chemo infusion. Still getting very odd bouts of nausea from it, they come on in a flash and then watch out! Had a mildly humorous bout this weekend; at least I found it funny. My dog, on the other hand, was rather annoyed when I bent down to pet her and she caught a face full of it...Ah well, Sheba needed a bath anyway!

Not much else to report, still waiting for the SoCal doc to get back to us about the referral for the IFN/IL2 therapy. Robin started a support group today, she really enjoyed it and is thinking about cutting her work hours so that she can attend the weekly sessions. The kids are fab, and still have no idea what is up, only that Daddy has a "cold" these last few weeks. Ah, to be six again...

Be well.

No comments: